A quarterly overview of noteworthy deals and cases handled by THALES
Deals and Cases
- Thales Employment successfully assisted two employers in the framework of legal proceedings before the Nivelles and Arlon Labour Courts related to blue-collar employees dismissals. Both courts have rejected the claims for wrongful dismissal and for discrimination on health condition (Marie-Michaud Nérard and Maïté Rowies ).
- Thales Tax conducted an audit with its clients to assess the effects of the major tax reform voted in December 2017 (involving e.g. the reduction of the company tax rate, the rules on taxation of capital gains on shares). For individuals specific attention was given to the effects of the expansion of the Cayman tax and to the new taxation of securities accounts up to 0.15% (Valerie-Anne de Brauwere and Christelle Wils).
- The IP / Commercial team assists most of its clients in the GDPR compliance process with practical issues relating to IT security, privacy policies, transfer of data outside EU and liability both as data processor and data controller and advises them regarding the interpretation of specific provisions of the GDPR (Grégory Sorreaux and Catherine Thiry).
- The IP / Commercial team represents one of the world’s leader in the manufacturing business of aluminum profiles in the context of a legal proceeding related to violations of their trademarks by competitors. (Grégory Sorreaux and Catherine Thiry)
- The IP / Commercial department is providing in-house legal services to a leading French food company (dairy products) on regulatory issues, labelling of pre-packaged food, various commercial practices and all types of commercial contracts and collaboration agreements with third parties. (Grégory Sorreaux and Catherine Thiry)
- Thales Corporate assisted senior management with an international management buy-out of a group of companies active in the sector of industrial lasers. We acted in close cooperation with financial advisory firm Lievens & Co for this highly leveraged transaction. (Alexis Wochenmarkt)
- Thales Corporate assisted the controlling shareholders with a management buy-out concerning a company producing prefabricated reinforced concrete structures and active in the realization of works on electrical distribution and telecommunication networks as well as in the design of electrical and electromechanical industrial installations. (Rodolphe Horion)